Reclaiming terrabytes with Tdarr, HEVC and NVENC on Unraid

Published Fri 10 July 2020 by Daniel W



Thursday, 02/07/2020

Last weekend I was searching through my Plex server looking for something to watch and despite having several hundred movies on file, I couldn't find anything that I really felt like watching. Some days later I was performing some routine maintenance on the Unraid server and was reminded that I only had a mere 1.57TB remaining before I would need to purchase a new drive to expand the array (or upgrade an existing drive).

These two instances combined kick-started a thought in my head - most of the movies in my collection I most likely will never watch again .. so why don't I just delete what I don't need?

As a self-diagnosed digital hoarder this idea seemed a little extreme to me so I thought about other viable options and eventually settled on the idea of reclaiming space on the array back by converting my media collection en-masse HEVC (H265) to take advantage of the smaller file sizes. Once I have a reclaimed some space I will be able to remove any content that I really don't think I will ever need again (or can redownload if needed) and potentially avoid purchasing a new disk.

Today is Thursday and I've done some inital proof-of-concept work to determine if this is even feasible:

root@Tower:~# du -sh /mnt/user/multimedia/Movies/
6.1T  /mnt/user/multimedia/Movies/

root@Tower:~# find /mnt/user/multimedia/Movies/ -type f -size +500M | wc -l
617

root@Tower:~# mediainfo --Output=JSON --LogFile=movies.json /mnt/user/multimedia/Movies && wc -l movies.json
188462 movies.json

My plan is simple: the tdarr plugin I am using has a variable that can be specified by the user to only transcode videos that have a higher bitrate than the threshold. I will use this to my advantage and start with a relatively high bitrate, processing only the largest 10% of movies to begin with and work my way down from there.

Note: Running more than one active transcode at one time has a neglible effect on the GPU:

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 440.59   Driver Version: 440.59       CUDA Version: 10.2     |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
|   0  GeForce GTX 980     Off  | 00000000:01:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
|  9%   63C    P2    67W / 185W |    685MiB /  4043MiB |     14%      Default |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Processes:                                                       GPU Memory |
|  GPU       PID   Type   Process name                             Usage      |
|=============================================================================|
|    0     10383      C   ...erver/assets/app/ffmpeg/ffmpeg42/ffmpeg   357MiB |
|    0     14754      C   ...erver/assets/app/ffmpeg/ffmpeg42/ffmpeg   313MiB |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Monday, 06/07/2020

So after all that I decided to just go for it, as I figured whatever breaks - I can fix and I'm happy to report that the results are really quite impressive.

I set tdar to run against my entire collection of movies and after 3 days of continuous transcoding I have reclaimed nearly 1.5TB of disk space. I did however need to patch the GPU using this this script due to the fact that there is a default maximum limit of 2 NVENC processes allowed, but this is easily dealt with.

This means that I have transcoded roughly 1/3 of my movies library, beginning with the largest and working down from there so the reclaimation will obviously taper off as the program encodes smaller and smaller files. I am still aiming for a 2TB of reclaimation though, this will leave ~3.5TB of free space on the array.

tdarr stats page

tdarr stats page

I'll leave this run for the rest of this week and see how things go and perhaps in a day or two bump up the number of simulteanous transcodes from 4 to 8 considering the files will be much smaller.

In the meantime however, this is exactly what I wanted to see (direct play for both the video and audio streams) - happy day.

plex status page


Friday, 10/07/2020

The transcode queue is finished (for now) and now we can have a look at the results.

tdarr stats page

Out of a total of 616 files, 535 were transcoded to HEVC which in turn has reclaimed a whopping 2.76TB of space on the array!

[email protected]:~# du -sh /mnt/user/multimedia/Movies/
3.6T  /mnt/user/multimedia/Movies/

© danieljw.net – published with Pelican, theme by djw4